Saturday, July 9, 2011

Collections


I come from a long line of collectors. My mother collected antiques and China cups, my Aunt collects antiques and kitchen items and my Sister collects a little bit of everything. My collections range from vintage orange kitchen items to table lighters (at last count I had over 350). But one of my favorite collections is also my hobby and that is taking pics of vintage neon signs.

It started along with the start of my relationship to my husband. Almost 14 years ago my husband and I had been dating for about a month when we decided to take a vacation together to Yellowstone. Now this could have really been a breaking point as we had not known each other that long and it is a wicked long drive to Montana (and I tend to talk a lot). But thankfully it turned out to be one of my favorite trips of all time. We camped in Yellowstone for almost a week, saw amazing wildlife and sites and fell in love. This October we will celebrate 12 years of marriage and we have 2 amazing kids to show for it.

So how does sign picture taking work into this you say? Well, on our trip we stopped in a small qaint town in Colorado a little over half way to Yellowstone. We stayed at a motel from the 50's and took a drive around the small town to take in the local culture. All around this town were the most amazing vintage neon signs including our hotel. My very patient, one day husband, would pull over so I could get of a pic of these amazing historical signs and I was hooked.

Years later I never get tired of collecting these pictures of creative artistic signs. I have taken pictures from Canada to Texas and anywhere I can in between. This is a picture I took this week of a lovely sign (especially since it has orange in it) in Dallas, Texas.
Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment